Friday, November 27, 2009

the domino effect.


As im still catching up with info and ideas from being away, I thought id post up another entry today otherwise the backlog will stare at me from my hard drive forever!! Well.... that's alittle dramatic but you know what I mean...

I don't know about you but this week seemed to be to be about 'cleaning up!' Shifting old tasks and chores that have been staring at me for months and just getting on with it and completing them!! I think its a sign that Im starting to look and feel like myself again, after exactly one year of rejuvenation and recovery from my operations and poor health late last year!! So without knowing it or consciously thinking about all these unfinished projects around me were suddenly being completed! Very liberating I must say....

So the image I wanted to show you is from Berlin and the the massive Domino installation that was created for the 2oth anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall... I found it in the paper on the 9 Nov, while I was away, and I just had to rip it out and show you as I just thought it was a brilliant project for the people and the city!
The concept, the intent, the drama..it was all there... and I loved it!!


In a stroke of symmetry I found a similar work in the Sculpture by the Sea exhibition the other week... The work called Recession was by Michael Lipman and it was just as imposing and dramatic as how I imagined the work in Berlin to have been ...
The only problem I had is that it was too literal and black whereas the installation in Berlin was all about colour and participation, as children from all over the world were asked to paint each of the 1000 styrofoam domino pieces, to create a beautiful multicoloured effect that was all about energy and celebration!! And that was the best bit!
{If you would like to see more check out a great video of all the painted pieces on youtube here....}


Anyway...
I hope you enjoy your weekend wherever you may be... And that your schedules start to fall by the wayside and that you open up your world to a few curve balls and surprises!

2 comments:

Corinne (aka Rinny of Arabia) said...

Nothing better than crossing items off a to-do list! I often write a list of things I've already done just so I can cross them off... is that cheating?

michele aka the tiny said...

No they are the best kinds of lists... the 'I need to feel efficient lists'!!! I have one of those too... xx