Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Beatrice Alemagna

A little while ago, on this very blog, I waxed lyrically at how Id love to try my hand at book illustration. I received a beautiful copy of Shaun Tans book 'The Red Tree' and I immediately fell in love with children's books again, and how they are not just for kids but big kids too...
There is something magical about the way these illustrated stories can transport you into another world with their use of colour, imagination and feeling...

Well after trawling around a few of my favourite blog sites on the weekend, Ive found another artist to inspire me! Beatrice Alemagna is an award winning author and illustrator from Italy with 20 books published and solo exhibitions in countries such as France, Germany and Japan...
Elizabeth from the blog One fine day has just interviewed Beatrice about her work, and its a nice way to introduce yourself to this lovely artist and her work...

Love love love this big wooden table with an assortment of drawing implements!! Makes me swoon when I see studios such as this!


There is something really simple and innocent about her style of cut and paste imagery. Its child like and yet has an incredibly complex use of colour and space to it... I love the feeling that resonates from within this picture and it says alot about the type of artist Beatrice is, and, how she understands and relates to her readers.
And I guess that is the most important thing... understanding how to speak to your inner child and remember what its like to see a beautiful coloured image on the page of the book your looking at... It can be a magical experience, and to tap into that must be fascinating...
If you would like to look at Beatrices' catalogue of published works, you can click onto Amazon for a complete listing...

No comments: