Thursday, April 22, 2010

craft corner

A little story...
Every two months I go into hospital for a drug transfusion for the chronic illness that Ive had for some 17years now. Its called Crohns disease and in the last few years I have had a rotten time with it, as I slid from having my symptoms go from mild to serious in the space of 5 years... Fun times! So the transfusion helps my body stay on track. It's actually not that bad and the nurses at the chemo cottage are AMAZING!

I'm there for about 3-4 hours and in that time I may write a letter, read a book, have a chat with someone going through cancer or read a new magazine. And funnily enough my Frankie magazine usually arrives in the mail the day of my treatment...

Lucky or Divine who knows, but its great to get a new bit of mindless reading while going through something serious! This month Frankie and Inside Out have been the two new mags to make the grade and entertain me!



This photo documentary on Lagos Nigeria was so sad but so incredibly beautiful... and reminded my of some of my favourite issues of Colors magazine from Italy...

Its a great issue actually, and there was a great little story on the Aussie affair with caravans too, which had some great images...
The April/May issue of Inside Out was in celebration mode as the magazine turned 10! If you would like to read a great interview with Karen McCartney, Lucy @ The Design Files
has spoken to Karen about this 10th anniversary issue.

We were all given a gift this month too....
The ubiquitous magazine gift that so many mags are tempting us with these days... was a tee towel by the amazing paper artist from London - Rob Ryan. {image above}
I used to follow his blog alittle while ago, so when I saw this promo for his work I decided to check out his blog again. I was not disappointed! He is a big kid who loves trying his hand to whatever takes his fancy... designing ceramic egg cups that are very cute... decorating Lomo cameras... and on and on and on....
He is one busy boy!
Worth checking out here.

The other big feature for this months Inside out is the maSSIVE ART auction that the mag is conducting as part of its birthday issue. There are some great artists and designers who have donated their time and talent to the theme of Heart + Home... with all sales going to the HeartKids organisation that offers support to families of children with heart disease. So a worth while project all round! I jumped onto the live auction a few days ago to check out my favourite artwork which is a beautifully handcrafted pillow by fashion designer Lee Mathews.
Lets just say they are getting a few great bids...which is brilliant!

LOve this image by stylist Glen Proebstel on 'Iron' which is the 6th anniversary gift.... which I never knew! Glen went through all 10 anniversary gifts; from cotton to wood, each page is moody, dark and I guess new Romantic!


Im switchin now to my little craft corner...
And a little project that I attempted after I was give the idea from my mate Soph...
I wanted a new camera case but wanted to utilise one of my many vintage purses that lay dormant in a drawer. So she suggested knitting a square to line the inside of a purse thus making it more cushioned for the camera. Genius!
It took no time at all to make and insert, and it makes use of an old old purse ive had for eons.
So there you go...
a tiny day project for next time you're bored!
x

No comments: