Monday, July 5, 2010

colour for a new age....

A couple of weeks ago I was read a fascinating article on Li Edelkoort, a European based trend forecaster...
A trend forecaster? What on earth?
Is she an oracle? An intuitive soothsayer? A dreamer?
Li is actually none, and all of these things....
Li calls herself " an archaeologist of the future", a social anthropologist that can constantly see through the everyday to find little clues as to what we will be attracted to in the future. What colours we will be wearing, what certain products will look like and how we will use them...
I found the piece so interesting as she performs a little trick that I quietly, and secretly to do too, which is watch people; on the bus, on the train, walking in the city and when Im shopping.
I guess it has developed from being an artist and always being drawn to colours, textures and shapes... But its more than that. It has also got to do with thinking, researching and observing our environments and how we live... Maybe it is a byproduct from never getting my licence and living for 30 odd years on public transport, surrounded by people!! Could be...

Li Edelkoort goes further in this article to say that in " 2011 things will be on the move...rolling...journeying. Water is the metaphor (and) blue will be important. And I'm betting on yellow being the new pink.....Yellow may become the icon colour of our age".

I like this thought.
Blues, greys, browns, naturals with an accent colour of yellow...

In this vein I thought id find a few images in my tool kit that bring forward this new spirit of colour! Important at the moment when its all grey and moody outside my window...
Enjoy...!

If you would like to know more about Li, there is a brilliant interview on designboom that is worth checking out...

No comments: