Monday, October 18, 2010

out of the mould....

Bam!
Afternoon y'all!
Thought Id hit you between the eyes this bright and shiny Monday by presenting you with some colour...! Pure, intoxicating, mouth watering colour!
I was having an off colour morning after a busy day yesterday... so I dragged myself to the computer to try and shake myself into the day, with some light emailing and general perusing, when a friend presented me with this! An exhibition that I had no knowledge of, and yet is right my my street...or alley...or something?!
The exhibition is called Out of the Mould and it is by Janet Tavener who has created these amazing objects from resin that has been cast from jelly moulds! The architectonic copper moulds date back to the 19th century and were sourced through The Vaucluse House archives, where the exhibition is now being displayed.

Tavener's exhibition may be aesthetically beautiful but by reading further into her notes these pieces carry a deeper message. Tavener is exhibiting these colour shiny, perfectly moulded objects as a metaphor for the way man is attempting to control and manipulate nature and more specifically food. We deliberately change the colour, shape, taste and texture of many foods in order to control the way we see + consume. By presenting these bright and techno coloured sculptures, Tavener is definitely giving us a heightened version of what we see in the supermarket everyday!
Its an interesting argument and an interesting approach and I believe its a discussion that we need to have more of in the public sphere....
But to be purely superficial for one moment....
I think these fruit gum jelly objects are beautiful...
And they are making me hungry!!
Janet Tavener
Out of the Mould
Until the end of October...

No comments: