Wednesday, August 24, 2011

toy memories...












I wasn't going to speak. 
I thought these images said enough. But of course I could not help myself...
When I see and experience a beautiful exhibition, I just have to put my two... or in this case five cents worth in! And this was a lovely and unexpected surprise...
A few days ago I took a quick detour to Gaffa Gallery in the city, a place that i usually like to pop my head into when I'm in town, as I know I will always see a mixed bag of new shows to challenge and excite me. Plus a whole lot of colourful objects to tempt me in The Sterling store.

But when I walked up the stairs to see the three exhibitions on the first floor, I was floored by this quiet + nostalgic solo drawing show by Ana Anderson, a Sydney-based artist who was inspired to create a collection of drawings on  the toys of her childhood, after having her first baby.
In her words:
(these artworks) explore the transition into parenthood and the unexpected emotional journey that takes place. The mood of the work reflects the intense isolation, exhaustion and helplessness that first time parents can experience. The meditative process of creating these detailed pieces provided me with a silent escape to self reflect. 
And you really did feel that emotional journey through each of these detailed, and thoughtful drawings on wood. Ana looks to have really loved the process of making these pieces... as you can see.




































I loved this last room with the portrait of a doll sitting quietly, and very dramatically on her own, staring out with her big eyes at all the passers by. Its hard not to stop, reflect and reminisce at seeing her face. Makes me think of all my childhood toys that I loved so much...
Oh I am one big softie!
A really great exhibition Ana and Gaffa...

No comments: