Wednesday, December 16, 2015

make hay while the sun shines




November and December are always a big time on the art calendar. 

Along with the big end of year exhibitions at the private galleries, you also have the graduation shows at the the art schools. AND then you cant forget the emergence of the Summer blockbuster shows at the big art institutions like the MCA and the AGNSW.

Every few years or so I catch the art frenzy bug that infects the local community and I try and see as many exhibitions as my body and brain will allow. 

This year the sun was shining and I saw some beautiful works - and that also has to include my trip to the APT8 in Brisbane (which I talked about in my last post). 

Here are just a few images from some of my favourite artists and exhibitions. 


Zoe Veness and her beautiful and intricate folded paper jewellery pieces
were on display at Studio 20/17 last month in her solo exhibition entitled
'Autonomous Jewellery'

The amazing Stephen Bird just exhibited his new collection of ceramic pieces
at Olsen Irwin Gallery in Paddington. Mad and amazing...

One of my favourite painters Elizabeth Cummings has her solo show on now
at King st Gallery on William. This piece is entitled
'Granite Country 2015'

Gemma Smith and the amazing polished concrete floor made a great combination
at Sarah Cottier Gallery. 

This a view of the main gallery floor at Roslyn Oxley Gallery
and on display a couple of weeks ago was this amazing exhibition
by the brilliant Australian artists' John Wolseley and Mulkun Wirrpanda.


On Sunday I had an hour to kill before hearing Grayson Perry talk at the Opera House,
Unfortunately the attendants at the MCA informed me that this HUGE Summer exhibition
needed longer than an hour to view.
Fair enough...
So I went down to see the permanent collection
and found this beautiful work by Rosalie Gascoigne entitled Tiger Tiger 1987

The Tenderness of Rain 2011-12 by Lindy Lee
was also on display at the MCA. Loved the texture and detail in this work on paper

Finally... I had to include this street find.
I found it on the weekend in Redfern and its by Baf Cat -
who is a Fine art student from Wollongong

No comments: