Monday, August 24, 2009

Colour dreamings....

Hope you all had a lovely weekend in all the summer heat that we experienced!! For anyone who like me is a born + bred lizard- it was truly beautiful weather!!! And now that the weather has reverted back to its grey wintry self today it all seems like it was a prelude to the spring that is nearly upon us....

And what have I been up to? Ive been pouring over sketches and books of late... and reminiscing about colours and textures past - especially after my musings in previous entries about Idris Murphy and his trips out to Mutawintji National Park !
I briefly hinted to you that I had also taken that adventure out to Mutawintji and Fowler's Gap with Idris and a group of like minded artists a few years ago - actually quite a few year ago.... Well after that posting I realised that it was time to look back at some of those sketches and maybe share a few of them...
So here they are... I hope you like them??



I love these three little sketches below..... reminds me of how scared + overawed I was when I climbed up to the top of the ridge and sat + looked.... and then tried to work out how I was going to capture it all onto a piece of paper....



Ive also posted one of the works that was inspired by those sketches.....
It was exhibited in a show called Wallpaper in 2000... Its still one of my favourite landscapes that Ive produced so I hope you like it too...
Its just all about colour - which has become a mantra that I live by to this day...



It IS all about COLOUR!!! Life is colour and if you look at the genius of someone like Emily Kame Kngwarreye... it all makes sense! Life, the land, the seasons, our emotions... are all about colour! I actually bought the Emily publication from the AGNSW bookshop the other day and I just can not tear myself away from its beautiful pages! It is such a fantastic book with an amazing layout and set of illustrations -

It is truly inspiring.
anyway....


Time to

..................switch....

....A copy of a new zine was put into my tiny mitt yesterday and after a quick look i realised that it was a magazine that deserved a closer inspection...

The colour of the Highlands in Winter...

Its called SOHI : Creative Southern Highlands and apparently there are only 2000 copies in this inaugural issue. In the editors note we learn that it is a publication from the Southern Highlands area of Sydney ie Bowral, Mittagong + Berrima and that it will appear on the streets of Sydney 4 times a year - to highlight the seasonal changes.

I loved the photography and some of the shots about the creative homes of its local inhabitants... In this issue we take a look at the stylings of Sue Blakeborough who was married to the ceramic artist Les Blakeborough, and also have a conversation with Paul Berkelouw - founder of the Berkelouw Books empire!


Sue Blakeboroughs home... Love the layout...



One other thing of note was the Craft corner.... Does anyone else remember doing Macrame as a kid? These little owls are a blast from my past!




Check out their online link if your curious for more....

Good luck to Sarah, Rebecca + Sara for the forthcoming editions!

No comments: