Monday, August 31, 2009

Murals.... friend or foe???

A friend a couple of weeks ago made the announcement that she was about to enter the murky waters of home ownership in Sydney with her boyfriend... which is always a scary prospect! She went on to say that things were already proving to be stressful and alot more complicated than first thought.... Not a big surprise there!!

Now I am as far away from the concept of owning my own home as a person could be - so I smiled, and listened, and wished them good luck for the months ahead.


But when seeing me she said an idea...
I guess it also lightened the conversation and gave her a happy thought about the whole process !!
'Michele - when we finally find a place you have to come over and pick a wall to paint a mural on! Yes...a big painting that will put our mark on the place!!'....
'Oh.... ok!' ... I think I said at the time.


But then I thought about it and wondered what it would be like to do a mural in someones space? Would it freak me out? How would I attempt such a project?
I mean... Ive done commissions but this is something totally different.
Then I remembered artists' murals that have inspired me in the past....


One such artist is someone I have talked about before... Miss Emma Magenta. The Inside Out project she did for a childrens bedroom is one such mural that springs to mind... I loved that image of the bird in flight...It had such a spontaneity about it and wasn't bound by the conventions of a framed painting or drawing under glass...



Another artist/illustrator who's work I have just been introduced to is...Jane Reisenger .I love these two images above and below - as like Emma - they have a sense of fun and fluidity that looks easy - but is sooooo not! Especially when you have only ONE chance at it!



I admire any artist that can challenge themselves....their fear.....and their artwork - by shaking it up alittle...

... and saying ....

Sure why not a mural!

Now...whats the subject matter??? And how long do I have!!!

No comments: