Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Books ....

and its time to buy if you have a few pennies!

The new financial year for artists is always an exciting time... for as long as you keep the receipts...many many things can be deducted!! And if you're like me - the line between lifestyle and art practice is extremely blurred!

Case in point...magazines + books! I love good reading material and I believe it is one of the best places for an artist to invest! That and good paintbrushes!


But it is my belief that you can never have too many books especially if the images are big, bold + colourful! I have a mate who is on nearly every art magazine subscription register and is known to enjoys a good Amazon flutter! So for me.... a fun trip out can be as easy as going over to her place, sitting on the couch and carefully arranging a big stack of art journals and books at my feet!! Yes Miss A...you know who you are!!

Unfortunately I'm not as free and easy with my purchases but I do admit to picking up a new + very tall white bookshelf with which to 'clean up' my resource area at the beginning of the year!! And now there is alittle space on it for some new titles!


Two books that have grabbed my attention of late are not art books per se but they are colourful .... and photography related! The first is the long anticipated first book by celebrated fashion sartorialist Mr Scott Schuman ... I have a link to his blog on the left of the page and have been following his work for a few years now. His eye for originality.... beauty in the unexpected... and for colour+texture in everything and everyone.... is truly amazing. It is an innate quality of Scotts and that is why he is so popular with people worldwide...
To now be able to have a collection of his images in book form is exciting...



The second is an obscure publication that can be only be found online...

Its The Selby's Sydney Book that was recently released on their blog site. This Sydney book is the second publication{the first being The Paris Book} from Todd Selby and it is a collection of studio and home vignettes from our little city on 24 artistic and fashion related folk..some that you may have never have heard of before ... It was shot over 7 days earlier this year and is a fresh and creative project that is completely original+ quirky....I love the little illustrations and sketches that Todd asks his subjects to procure!


At the moment they are selling the first copies, signed sealed and delivered from the states....

Worth a look!


s w i t c h



Hope you all survived the hot and extremely dry conditions today!! I know.... sounds like perfect beach weather...but to me it all was alittle unsettling. And now Ive become another one of the sydneysiders outside doing a little rain dance! A beautiful big storm would be lovely if the skies could manage it!!

No comments: