Saturday, September 19, 2009

Amazing....!




Some time ago I was alerted to the fact that one of my favourite photographers Steve McCurry was compiling a blog - but its only now that I have remembered to let you know about it...
And it was this image that triggered it...

His images of India/Nepal/Mongolia always inspire me... the colour.... the texture..... the heart...the soul....
He seems to be able to capture the spirit of a person or a place so well that he must have a sensitive touch? I have never heard him talk but one day I would love to know his secrets ...

True emotion can be hard to capture in a 2 dimensional image or artwork...Trust me can be hard to even identify and define let alone capture!! This always becomes evident to me when Im working on an art piece in the studio or if im in a gallery looking at a new artist...

Which is what I was doing today when this phenomena actually happened.... while looking at the new student work at the COFA Spring Fair ...
Saw some interesting pieces... and the markets were fun as always with many sweet treats to tempt onlookers!! But what I found hard to describe to my mate was the lack of emotion in what people were making, painting... selling!! Have we all become devoid of true passion for our art???

Maybe im just being alittle over dramatic but its food for thought don't you think??



One thing that my mate..her little cherub....and myself loved was the John Olsen drawing exhibition at Kudos gallery that runs till Sept 26. It is a prize for drawing students at COFA and this year the show was extremely diverse and boundless.... There was a fantastic animation work with audio that blew us all away ...and now I'm wishing i took down his name!!!

It had such a lovely story to it that made us walk out smiling....

Now thats heart+soul...

No comments: