Monday, November 2, 2009

the catch up.

Work by Christine Eid
So in amongst all my ramblings over the last month Ive now just realised that there were a few things that I never got a chance to mention!
So I hope you dont mind if I do it now?

First is the trip to the MCA to see the two shows that are still on at the moment - Primavera and Making it new: Focus on Contemporary Australian Artists'....
I posted up an image of the beautiful coloured flags that adorn the foyer as you walk into the museum... but I never went any further into discussing the shows. And believe me it was not because I was trying to forget what I had just seen! Far from it... both shows exceeded my expectations and I walked out pleasantly surprised by both ....

Primavera every year is a mixed bag of lollies...there are the favourites that you love and gravitate to first... and for me that was the work of Christine Eid with her personal accounts of growing up in a Lebanese migrant family and how she witnessed the personal attacks and prejudices against her father - a cabby in Melbourne in the 1970s... Really moving.

And then there are the lollies at the bottom of the white paper bag... you know...the ones that you cannot get into your mouth! ... For me these were the too cool for school conceptual pieces that worked on the premise that if the idea is funny, or clever, or deep, then it definitely works!!
Well these art works did not for me!!
I won't name and shame but the curator for this year Jeff Chan seemed to be pushing the boundaries just alittle too far for me - so in the end all I wanted was a work that was aesthetically beautiful... is that too much to ask for sometimes???
Maybe...

Up of the 3rd floor The Making it New Exhibition seemed to have no trouble in finding works that were fun and enjoyable to look at + play with....
The show is wall to wall fun as every media possible is included .. painting, sculpture, digital media, glass, ceramic, and on and on and on it went... This year the MCA curator Glenn Barkely seems to have picked out some of his favourite Australian artists that are still working today...
They are an older group of 18 mid career artists for the most part - artists who have worked out what their schtick is and are comfortable with that subject matter, their feelings on that subject, and how to execute these ideas beautifully...


Tom Moore installation

There are too many names to mention in this huge show but the Adelaide based Tom Moore has installed a work that is completely mad, completely fun and completely him!!...
Ive always had a soft spot for Ken Whisson and his room filled with paintings from the last two decades was so beautiful... and timely....! As people start to rediscover drawers, Ken in his 70s is truly one of the best!
Ken Thaidays sculptures were amazing as they hung from the massive ceilings, and the paintings of Marrnyula Mununggurr were a new and exciting discovery for me...

Ken Whisson

All in all it was great a visit and its all on at the MCA until 11th November...
The other exhibition Ive seen recently was the 15th Ranamok glass prize that was part of Octobers Art and About festival...
Every year The Ranamok Prize showcases the work of some of Australia + New Zealand's brilliant glass artist community. And for the winner, this prestigious prize has the capability of catapulting their career into new and exciting territories... This year the $15,000 acquisitional prize went to Lisa Walsh with her work Across the Lines...

For me the work of Wendy Fairclough was serene and amazing....
The etching on the exterior of each piece of glass was executed with such a light touch and it was beautiful bit of drawing...


The prize has now flown the koop and is now being shown in Brisbane... so if your up that way take a look..... Otherwise its one to look out for next October...

And finally....


I just wanted to mention that the second edition of SOHI magazine has landed, and again, the editors have been busy producing a beautiful and well crafted zine...
I picked up a copy at Object but get onto their blog for more info...
....I hope that has give you a few ideas of what is out and about this month!
As the end of the year fast approaches, galleries are about to present some great shows before they all close for the long summer break! I know im going to try and hit the pavement when I get back!! The list is on the desk waiting for me!...

No comments: