Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Sea.

How happy am I that summer is nearly here???
The days are longer, the sun is hotter and the water...well...its getting there!


The water up at Belongil was thank fully like a big bath so I happily jumped in every chance that I got! Even when the massive storms would roll in I would wait until the clouds were alittle lighter and then I would literally run from my room, across the street and jump into the surf... at lightening speed!


Every day to get into Byron for a coffee or some human contact I would try to walk into town along the beach. This would become a ritual for me as it would provide me with my daily entertainment.... I would watch the newbie backpackers try to surf; observe the dogs frolicking in the surf; be amazed at the locals as they body surfed with the grace of a dancer + then laugh at the city slickers like me as we tried to unwind and get brown!!


The only fly in the ointment was the nature the the tide!


With the rising sea levels having a major impact on the coastline and the beaches, some days the water would stay high all day and there would be no opportunity to walk along the sandy shore...



The images of the sand bags stacked along the rocky cliffs are a good indication of what the locals are up against... and I believe the sea is winning...!














Favourite shot of the trip....so lucky i found it!









The beach and the sandbags are slowly merging into each other..so beautiful...






The beach is being fenced off...


Beautiful Belongil Creek at sunset...

Love what someone has painted onto the concrete.
Its slowly slipping into the ocean....
and there is something really beautiful and poetic in that....

No comments: