Friday, February 19, 2010

the tiny diaries .....

The year was 2002 and the place was Turkey.
I was on a two week backpacking trip around that country with my then American flatmate Rebecca. We had no plans or ideas of where we wanted to go, but I had a fair idea that somewhere on my itinerary would have to be a visit to Gallipoli, as part of my patriotic duty!

The only thing was that I had had to sell the idea to my fellow American friend who had never heard its Holy Grail significance to any born and breed Aussie! But after I had talked the talk and we had walked the walk, we reached that important peninsula within the first few days of our adventure, and then faced a further week and a bit to go with no idea of what to do next! So we moved further on, to the Roman ruins of Ephesus, and then faced a choice.... We could go down the coast line and board a boat for the Mediterranean, or, we could be a little more adventurous and go inland to the mountains, visiting places such as Pamukkale, Capadoccia and Goreme...

Well the mountains won and we were to have the most mind blowing experience exploring these amazing Turkish sites ...

This week I had a feeling that I wanted to check out some of my sketches from that time on the road. And now I know why... The landscapes in those amazing places are finding their way into my Primrose studio drawings! I had no idea, until I found some similarities between the rugged mountains of Goreme and the rugged landscapes of my imagination that are finding their way to my blank pieces of paper in the studio...

It is amazing what comes up when you just let go and draw....I knew that those places I visited all those years back had made a huge impression on me!
Now I know that to be true....



My diary sketch from 2002 at Goreme.
As I sat in the afternoon sun at the local backpackers on the hillside I started to sketch....
The image of what it looks like today is below....


Amazing isn't it!
It the area where the original star wars movie was shot in the late 70s...
And it really does feel like being in another world!

The hillside at Capadoccia near Goreme
My sketch of Pigeon Mountain is below...Love this shot below....
It really looks like giant pigeons flew down and made their houses in the soft stone and sand in the middle of Turkey!You can see why so so many people visit that area every year...

Anyway have a brilliant weekend...
wherever you may roam...
and remember to take a good mental note of it
as it may come up again for you in an artwork or conversation in the future!
Take care
x

No comments: