Monday, February 15, 2010

r e d i s c o v e r y.

An artist, an influence, an inspiration....

Over the weekend I wasn't able to get down to The Primrose studio.
Instead I had to dream about it, and go over what I have achieved, in what I'm now calling, Phase 1. Sounds dramatic doesn't it? I don't mean to be. Phase One just relates to the first two months of unconscious drawing that Ive just completed. Two solid months of arriving at the studio, taking out a white piece of paper and drawing whatever i felt like. It could be an emotion, an object staring at me from my desk, or an imagined scene, such as a water scene or a colourful Australian landscape. And its only now, after I have sat back and surveyed them all, that Ive been able to truly see what Ive had in my head all these months...!

Slowly Ive been able to see things, common colours, commons shapes and similarities with a few of my favourite artists' ....
And the one that jumped out at me on the weekend while thinking...was Paul Klee! I don't even have a book on the man... only a few postcards that I haven't looked at in years!
So it was a surprise...

Today Ive gone through some of my old sketches from some 10years ago and a few images of Klee's work to post up for you...
{Just so you can get an idea of what the hell Im talking about!!}


LOVE the mosaic tile effect in this painting by Klee.
I also think the colours are lovely, and yes, they are my kind of colour combinations....


This work reminds me of some of my landscape compositions that Im attempting in the studio... The purples are beautiful too and make the other shades of yellow and blue really sing....






This is an old old watercolour sketch from 2000.... I swear it has not seen the light of day in many many years. Its just been in an old folder, waiting for rediscovery. And I'm happy to have found it again! Its much softer than the work I'm doing at the moment....



Love the pinks and reds in this one....
I remember receiving a beautiful Paul Klee postcard from my mate Ames many moons ago and was immediately excited to draw.... I only completed these few sketches, but they still bring a smile to my dial...
They feel really dreamy....
and light....
Anyway on another wee note...
The new Frankie magazine has arrived. Right on time too as Im off for treatment tomorrow...or as a good friend termed it yesterday 'Transfusion Tuesday'. And I have my new Frankie mag, right on cue, to keep me company!
See you on the other side of it...
take care x

No comments: