Tuesday, March 30, 2010

ch-ch-ch-ch changes....

Turn and face the strain
ch ch ch ch changes...

You know
Changes by
David Bowie...
That song has been in my head all morning and I think it because of what happened in the studio yesterday.... {Rewind...}
Ive been keen to have people come down to The Primrose Studio. To hang out, see whats going on, and also to give advice and lend some fresh eyes to all the work that is staring back at me. You know that old adage, 'I cant see for the trees..'? That phrase seems to be very apt these days as I race towards June and the finishing line of this residency. There is work everywhere...from the floor to the ceiling and it is alittle Clockwork Orange!
Angela and I are are both working down there nearly everyday, and we are both becoming really focused in what we are working on, as we try to resolve all the works that we want to finish while we have the space. Well, one thing about being so so focused is that you loose the 'big picture'! You know, the idea that there maybe another way of doing something or viewing an artwork? Well, this is what happened to me yesterday, as a good mate came down with me to have a look at all my work. And I think I caught her off guard. The new series was NOT what she was expecting and her eyes had to try and adjust to all the colour, pattern and energy that these works were exuding.
So what I received, after she had looked at them for a while in silence, was a critique. Not necessarily criticism but a critique of what she saw and what jumps out at her as being a little 'odd' or 'strange'.
Drawing phase one...before the change....
I can hear some of you laughing now...
Yes artists' CAN be sensitive and not very good at taking advice...
I mean who is? Most of us get quite defensive when someone says something about our clothes, our hair, our weight, our social life...especially when they think its not quite...right.
I guess it begs the question..who is right? Is there a right? Maybe there isn't. Maybe there is just an opinion - and I think that's the most important thing. If the person is being open and honest it is to be valved! I valued it... after Ive had a few hours to calm down! No seriously...we all should appreciate another point of view if it is done with love and honesty..And in this instance...It was!
So I got serious, and became un-precious about changing something in one of my works...and it did improve it! I walked home happy that I had been able to take the critique and move through it! Better than in the old days when I was a fresh faced 19year old art student that would cry when I was handed some words of wisdom from a lecturer.

Drawing phase two...after the change...

Granted she was harsh lecturer and not very friendly. But looking back now I'm glad I was able to stick at it and keep going with my art practice...

As that is the most important thing..

To keep going, keep experimenting, be un-precious about each and every work, and be open about change and hopefully learn to see something..

Anew....

Thanks lady for your advice !

No comments: