Tuesday, March 16, 2010

favourite things....

Don't worry....
I'm not going to go all Julie Andrews on you!
I just wanted share some images with you of a couple of jewellery pieces that have come my way in the last few days....
You may remember a post that I did last year about the brilliant exhibition Precious Pendants that was held in the project space at Object gallery? Well, the beautiful neck piece below came my way at the time of that exhibition. It's by Sydney-based jeweller Mel Young and it is delicately and patiently made using acrylic cotton thread that she ropes together to form the piece...




Inside the central coil you can see some beaded coral and the piece is called Flame cluster - which is so so apt! I absolutely love it, and as I paid off the last little bit of money that I had on it, I slipped it on, and a mate who was passing through the gallery said that it looked like a heart with all its arteries and chambers which I thought was a brilliant viewpoint to have!

Mel's work has looked at the body and all its formations and mutations for some time now, but she had never seen a heart shape in this piece before! Geez I love how people can see different things in each and every artwork they view... makes it interesting for the wearer as well as the artist!


The ring below was a sneaky purchase, as the lovely ladies that I worked with saw it come into Collect as part of a new collection from a new artist to the gallery, and immediately put my name on it! I went into work and knew it was for me... yellow, textural, fun, and it's bigger than my hand! Perfect!
Its by Denise Litchfield who you know as the Guerrilla Knitter! I have featured her work many, many times on this blog so I wont go on about how I love her work and her ideas philosophies about renegade craft! But this ring is part of a new body of production work that she is working on at the moment, in between guerrilla craft missions around town! Collect received the stock last week and she has made not just these lovely knitted rings but other wintry woolly items to herald in the new season! Very exciting...


Notice the similarities with Mel's neckpiece..i.e. the central speckling of pink beading! Adds more texture to the piece, and let me tell you, when you wear it you cannot put on anther bit of jewellery or colour on!


It is what they call statement craft!!!
Geez I'm nuts but it is fun to wear and if you can bring a smile to someones dial then its definitely worth it!
If you would like to check out more colourful jewellery, check out the new winter pieces at Collect @ Object....
I think Ive just retired my tiny purchasing gremlin!

No comments: