Sunday, March 14, 2010

the jazz singer effect....

It was a lazy Saturday and I was a tired tiny.
It had been a busy week and I was in that all too familiar position on the couch, with the remote happily placed in my hand. I was flicking through the channels and then I came to a stop. It was Gene Kelly in a beautiful white trench coat and hat, re-inacting the opening scenes from one of my favourite movies of all time, 'Singing in the Rain'.
I was happy...

If you remember the gist of that Hollywood classic, Singing in the Rain is based on the moment when Hollywood discovered The Talkie - a movie that had sound. Before then movies played out in silence with a piano in the corner providing the accompanying soundtrack to the black and white images flashing onto the silver screen...

And then in 1927 The Jazz Singer revolutionised movies forever more. What a moment that must have been for the average Joe-blow in the audience? Actors actually talking in synchronicity with the images...
It must have seemed like....
Magic!


Well I feel like I had one of those kinds of moments; a moment where Ive peered into the crystal ball and experienced history in the making.

The revolutionary of film making...

Alice in Wonderland in 3D!!

I was blown away with the experience as I sat in the theatre with those dinky 3D plastic wannabe Ray Bans on, watching objects gravitate toward me like they were suspended in animation! It was fantastic! And even though I was not so keen on Tim Burton's take on the Alice tale I was keen on the way I was viewing it! Like my old father who is like a little child when he is in the presence any iPhone, I was giggling in my seat!



All the colours, sounds and now 3D imaging, combined beautifully in this feast for the senses...
What is next?
Smellovision or taste-o-sensation as I watch my Saturday afternoon matinee??!
Who knows what the future holds, I just hope I'm here to experience more of this magic!

No comments: