Friday, September 3, 2010

the dance....

Sorry for my lack of blogging this week...
Many many issues ...
Starting with technical difficulties with my computer {you know how fun that can be!!}, a lacklustre energy level in the ol'body that had to be jump started each morning, and finally, I had a firm resolve to get away from the desk and into the studio in order to immerse myself in a drawing commission that is due very soon! Eep!


The drawing commission is all about movement, landscape and colour...so I should be excited, as that is right up my alley.... so to speak! So why has it been such a hard few days??? Maybe it all ties in with my ho-hum energy level this week, but Ive been struggling to find the right colour combinations for the final work....My colour mojo has left the building! Double eep!!!

Is there such a thing as colour mojo? You bet! And anyone who has worked with alot of colour in any type of creative/ fashion or home project knows that there is a formula - a way of seeing/playing/or organising colour.

But in saying that, I also believe that everyone is different; we are individuals, and as such we experience and feel colour in totally unique ways. Some people are partially colour-blind, some have childhood memories that they attach to certain colours, some have never travelled and experienced colour in new cultural environments, and some just have an intuitive love of one colour and can't tell you why!

I believe its all about experimentation, intuition, and how we see light.
Light is everything and colour needs light in order to move, shift, highlight, absorb and get excited!!

What am I rabbiting on about??
Well...
Let me show you...


Earlier in the week I started to build up this drawing with a few layers... paint, then pencil and finally oil pastel... But something was wrong; the colours were not singing.
They were flat like a note in a song...
And I was frustrated!!!
The main colour needed to be blue...but why was it all so cold... so stale...??

It was because I needed MORE colours...
The blue was lonely and needed support in the form of green, orange and yellow in order to dance!

And then it was happy!
People think you just have an innate sense of colour and 'get it'....
That may be true to a certain extent but for me its all about experimentation, fun, and learning to step back and see the big picture!
Have a great weekend
and I hope you see your colour puzzles, or worlds, in a whole new light!
x

1 comment:

Melinda Young said...

Oh honey, I can relate to the colour struggles. I have been wrestling with yellow/grey combinations for an exhibition piece for weeks now... finally cracked it yesterday! Love your colour outcome, it looks beautiful and really does sing xxx