Monday, December 20, 2010

the little ballerina...

years ago....
in another lifetime
i used to do ballet.
From the age of seven I began ...
as a not so gifted dancer!


I always gave it my best but I was definitely no protege! My mum enrolled me for many reasons and i certainly did not love it! But over time, and after many exams and concerts dressed up like a tag pole, an Eastern European gypsy and many other fun creations in Lycra, I grew to love it! My feet didn't love toe shoes but I did continue to dance and even went back for fun in 2002...

The other week my friends eldest daughter had her first concert and the photos of the performance made me smile. Mothers and daughters and dance....
I remember it all like it was yesterday!
It is a rite of passage for many...
And in the end there is something so so beautiful in the art of ballet...
Something I rediscovered while watching this beautiful short film by photographer David Eustace on the anthropologist website. It is the most amazingly emotional and poetic piece that I have seen in a while, and it only goes for a couple of minutes! Maybe it's the sepia tones of the film? The way David has captured the movement of Tomomi Sato? Maybe its the music that reminds me of The Nutcracker? Who knows...

All I know is that you have to have a look at it....
Especially if you too have childhood memories steeped in ballet nostalgia!!

No comments: