Monday, March 7, 2011

creative dummy spit.

Morning y'all...
Feeling bright eyed and bushy tailed?
Me?
N.O.! I'm tired.
Physically and mentally, after another (lets get everything done before I go to Japan) week!
I'm not ashamed to say that I am a freak in this respect. I like clean slates and no loose ends. Starting and finishing a project on time is a secret pleasure of mine.
I was just wired that way I guess...

Some would say that flies against the whole nature of creativity, and the whole go-with-the-flow creative spirit! But did you also hear Mel Young say that... 'one of the biggest misconceptions about artists' is that they are messy! Most artists I know are very anal and organised!'
And I guess that includes me...in the studio and in my thought processes!

Over the last few months I have had the most fortunate period with my art practice, receiving some lovely requests for commissioned artworks and pieces for galleries and stores! It has been brilliant, and I have enjoyed each and every set project.

But now I'm feeling restless and wanting to rebel, even though I have one last big diptych painting to complete. Can I find the motivation to complete it? Apparently not!! Ive tried everything and I just cant seem to get excited about it! Maybe its because I have no firm deadline with which to complete it?
Maybe...
But last week something else happened to make me rebel...
I received the brief for my next group exhibition!
And that was it!
I was utterly excited about this new project; immediately sketching out ideas and research images...
I was completely off on another tangent!
And what was the brief?
White! Funny huh... as I love colour!
But white IS colour. Lots n lots of colours melded together.
And then I started to play with patterns again, pulling out more images to inspire...


Above is an image from Marrakesh and the room I shared with a mate called Leesh.
This is Leesh in our beautifully tiled room... just off the jâmiʻ al-fanâ square in the old city.


Tiled wall from The Alhambra in Granada, Spain, which is one of my most favourite places in the world...

Another ornately tiled room in The Alhambra...

And then we switch to more images from Mel Young's inspiring studio!
Colour on colour... pattern on pattern...
A quiet spot in the loft studio...
Love the cushion and wooden chair with white light pouring in from the sky light.

And then there is me...
Playing with ideas...
This pattern was Japanese inspired...
And then we come to a small detail from a white project sketch.
A diptych of layers... patterns... textures...white and light colours.
{to be continued...}

No comments: