Tuesday, July 26, 2011

behind the colour...

Ahhhh.... Sun! 
Hello old friend...Ive been missing you! It has been a while since Ive felt your warmth. I know I know... I shouldn't expect too much of you as it is winter after all. But I'm a Sydneysider and I do get jealous and miss you when you are not around! 
Oh I am mad. But I am starting to pine for Spring to arrive...with its restorative warm rays of sunshine making everything seem fresh and new. When I saw these photos recently I was immediately drawn to them as they seemed to radiate a sense of summer warmth within each dappled fleck on sunshine on the skin...

The photographer is Viviane Sassen, and she is a Dutch artist with an amazing eye for colour, pattern and texture - three of my favourite elements for a beautiful artwork. Viviane recently shot a fantastic fashion story on colour that you must have a look at in the latest edition of Dazed and Confused Magazine. But today I just had to show you these three images that radiate something more than what initially meets the eye. 

With everything that is happening in Somalia at the moment with its devastating war and crippling famine of unimaginable proportions, images like Viviane's remind me of Africa, its peoples and the truth behind the colour, the pattern and the texture of its environments. We are all connected and exist on the same journey, the same human journey of survival, discovery, growth and compassion....

If you would like to donate to the UN relief effort, UNICEF is always a good place to start....x

No comments: