Monday, August 10, 2009

Tie a yellow ribbon....

round an old oak...tree???
Try the old metal + stand stone convenience!!
My whole world turned yellow this weekend as little threads of beautiful sunshine made their way to my door... Its funny how you suddenly notice all the co-incidences (or threads) that end up making a colour story for the week?


On Sunday I went up to Taylor Square to have a look at the Denice Litchfield installation 'A Knitted Convenience' that is part of the Sydney Design 09 program... It was installed on Saturday and I wasn't sure if it would be finished by the Sunday...
But - Boy- was it finished!! It was illuminating the public square with yellow goodness! And what a difference it has made to Taylor Square! Normally all us locals are used to seeing the local men's group sitting on the stair having a bevvy or ten with all the flapping banners above them, giving the streets their only true bit of colour...

But now... we have this beautiful yellow installation for the next couple of weeks- giving tons of texture and personality to the Square's old disused toilets! {If that is at all possible!!} But it is a brilliant public installation idea that I wish would happen more often to the inner city streets - as I have mentioned in earlier postings...
Sure makes for good craft inspiration thats for sure!
I feel like getting out my knitting needles...
I also was given a huge flashback moment too...
As in 2005 i remembered photographing a yellow weaving installation in Slovenia...
The place in Ljubljana was called The Hostel Celica which used to be an old Yugoslavian cell block from Slovenia's Eastern block days. Now... I know that all sounds odd and alittle scary but let me tell you it was one of the most artistic and interesting places I have ever stayed in!
It was truly fantastic and every room -or cell- had been renovated by a different local artist!

But in the foyer they had these two massive weavings that were pure colour as you can see... And then these two smaller works that were weaved in a thicker fabric... And in a way they reminded me of Denises' work... In colour and texture..



....On another thread....
more yellow found its way to me on the weekend ...
In the form of a little yellow porcelain dish that was presented as a parting gift... by Miss Ruth McMillan as she leaves Sydney for an outback adventure in the coming weeks! It was so lovely to have been given such a beautiful parting gesture!
Thank you missy... you WILL be greatly missed.

And just to sign off with...
A little photo of some yellow wool that Ive been wearing around my wrist for the last few weeks or so... contrasted with another beautiful Mel Young ring that I was given - as yet another little gift!
Am I not the luckiest person...?
I think so... to be surrounded by such amazingly creatively souls?
Very blessed indeed!

No comments: