Wednesday, December 2, 2009

r e d f e r n ....

So ...
you may have noticed that i have gone a little gallery mad in the last couple of weeks!


I cant dent it, I have gone mad and im loving it!! It seems that after a year of recovery and recuperation from multiple operations and time on the couch, my body has decided to rev up and go energy mad! I cant say if its been the medication, the acupuncture, or my holiday that did the trick? Maybe it was a combination of all of the above... I am certainly not complaining!!.. But what this all means is that ive been able to get out and about for a few more hours in the week and go exploring... !


One area that has been at the top of my list all year has been Redfern.
Redfern???


In a word...yes!


Last week and this week ive been checking some spaces off my list...


First off the rank was ng gallery which was a great space tucked in the annals of Chippendale.
{I wrote about it a couple of posts ago.}
This week I began around the corner from ng to Balfour st to check out the amazing White Rabbit Contemporary Chinese art gallery...which is like a huge New York style loft gallery tucked behind the HUGE brewery complex at Broadway... Unfortunately I was out of sync with the screwy opening hours... and was only able to peer through the windows and look at few massive shiny sculptures that looked impressive....
....but as Arne says:
'I will be back!!'



Massive painting by Michael Zarvos called Echo 2009

Next on the list was George st Redfern...to see Grantpirrie gallery. What a space!! So white, clean, slick and contemporary...If I was into architecture in a bigger way this would be one space that would make me smile!

At the moment the white walls are filled with the work of the brilliant Super-real artist - Michael Zarvos! What a painter... Seriously these works are all painted by hand. Thousands of hours with a tiny brush + alot of patience! I admire David Eastwood and Michael for their meticulous nature and eye for detail...

In this show the works are all themed around the concept of man trappings! Weight machines, Prada clothes, cologne, and the accompanying palatial homes! It is a well thought out theme and when you see POA (price on application) on the price tags you know this is an artist in demand!!

Michael's show Calling in the foxes closes on the Dec 19th and for me it is one of the shows of the year...



Next it was to Great Buckingham st and Damien Minton Gallery which is an eclectic space! Not sure what style of art Damian is in to; but all the artists' work in different styles so its hard to know what you will see...!!
This time it was the group Christmas show but last week he was showing the work of Tom Carment - a brilliant drawer who used to show at King on William gallery. Tom's line work is beautiful and so is his subject matter...
I love a good image of Clovelly Beach and this small painting is lovely...
....and this image of the cargo ships - which you may have guessed is a favourite subject matter of mine too! ...
Tom Carment painting on board 2009

While I was there I noticed some of Cupco's dolls and I found out that Damien has signed him on for a solo show in 2010!!
I will be looking out for that one...
And finally I went to First Draft Gallery which was closed for renovation...! It reopens in January so im bummed that I missed their last show...
But ill be back to visit the space in the new year!
To not waste the walk I remembered that Cloth was around the corner so I went to check out Julie Paterson's space, and as usual, it was packed to the brim with amazing fabric, cushions, drawings on wood, and all manner of new products!! So I was not disappointed...
Great place for a spot of Christmas shopping too !!

Speaking of Christmas shopping I have a bit of info... I have a couple of stockists of my work! Its been in the pipeline for a while but as of this week my work is for sale in two spaces in the Broadway/Glebe area...

The first is the abscure Secret Store.. a new concept store and artist studio in Broadway.
Its run by George Plionis and Christine who ran a pop up store in Darlinghurst earlier this year... the space is like an Aladdin's cave of goodies; and even though the opening hours are odd its worth a look if you're around on a Thursday night...





A rattle + Hum drawing on wood that is up in Secret Store...

The other space is The Genki Centre on Arundel St Glebe... Genki is a wellness centre and I have about 10 large + small scale works for sale ... Its a beautiful little spot just across the road from Sydney Uni and its so nice to have my work in a place that is all about health and well being...

So yes...a big few weeks... with more to come!!

No comments: