Wednesday, August 11, 2010

phase two....


What did you think of my piece I received in the brown parcel? Interesting isn't it? Its an odd shape, odd texture, and there is that triangle metal chain at the top. I swear it was as far away from what I thought I was going to receive as you can possibly get! I mean, I was already sketching and thinking about materials and surface treatments and then....
And then....
I received the piece.
Every thing had to change.
I was left thinking...
OK, this is different. All the sketches seem pointless now... Lets just start from the beginning...
Influences.
What do I love right now and what textures do I love seeing on people when they wear a different piece of jewellery...?



Sourcing your inspiration for a new art piece can one of the most liberating and fun experiences of the whole project. Think about it... it's all about what you love seeing. Colours, textures + styles that have no boundaries and no limits. In the end none of these artists' may figure in your final piece, but its the creative sense of play that is what gets you started.
And so here are a few of my influences for my brooch piece...


David Neale.
I know Ive spoken about his work + his blog a few times, but he must be mentioned again!
I love his brooches...
The folding aspect of the metal...
The painted surfaces and colours...
The raw and industrial feel...

Roger Crawford.
I just went to see his latest exhibition at Watters Gallery and I fell in love with his wooden collage pieces. Again its about the painted surfaces; all rough and worn.
The complex nature of the construction... yet they look so so simple.
The white on white is something I love too and when he uses colour it is very considered...


For design it has to be the fob watch.
I love the look of a fob watch as it reminds me of my grandfather and my uncle who has a beautiful collection of antique pieces. I love the look of the chain and the way it drapes around the body.
So elegant...
But maybe I could switch it up??

Sally Marsland.
Enamel paint brooches.
Again so simple and yet so strong in their impact when worn. Ive seen two lovely ladies wear them recently and I remembered how much I loved them...
Its been a while...
I used to sell them when I worked at Quadrivium all those years ago, and its good to see that they are still made by Sally in Melbourne...

When too much colour is never enough!!


And finally...
Robert Rauschenberg.
A favourite from my uni days, when I was learning all about collage, texture and the use of everyday materials on a 2D surface...
His work was rough, ragged and yet always told a story...
These days I don't look at his work much, and yet, for this project I thought of him...
Why???



To be continued....

No comments: