Tuesday, October 5, 2010

the bike song....

Happy new week and new month to you all!...
I hope all you folks in Australia enjoyed the long weekend?
I did!
With soooo many art events to choose from I was spoilt for choice!!
Yesterday I wondered over to the Art Gallery of NSW to sample some of the 60 events that were being held all over the gallery, as part of the art+soul aboriginal art mini festival...
The place was absolutely pumping with kids, adults, artists, dancers, weavers and paint! I had a great afternoon with one of my highlights being the 15 minute dance performance by the amazing Bangarra Dance Company...

But this month you cant swing a cat in this city without stumbling onto an art work, art workshop or performance. On my way up to the gallery I was late to catch a weaving demonstration by the amazing Yvonne Koolmatrie, so I had the ipod firmly embedded in the ears and my eyes focused on the ground.... until I was stopped in my tracks by this!!!

Funnily enough The Bike Song by Mark Ronson was playing in my ears so I had to laugh!
Has anyone else noticed that 'the bike' is everywhere!
It's become a symbol for our 21st century global consciousness that is focused on sustainability, the environment and new modes of city transport!
Just ask our Sydney of City Lord Mayor Clover Moore!
Melbourne has embraced the change alittle quicker than Sydney... There are some great bike tracks around that southern city that Sydney is now attempting to create.... at a snails pace! {Just ask anyone living, working, or driving around the inner city!!}
One brilliant way to explore Melbourne is actually on a bike!The Humble vintage bike hire co. is one place to start and if you would like to know more...check this out!


But I digress.... {sorry..}
This massive penny farthing bike sculpture is by Alasdair Nicol and is called the bike bike {great name!!} It will be in Martin Place until October 24 and its pretty hard to miss....


I love that you can see all the colour and ingenuity of the piece up close and personal!
Its a great work and one of the best aspects of this installation is that when it is dismantled, each and every bike will be able to be used again!
Clever....
Check out the art+about website for all the public sculpture maps and listings...
There are many more artworks to discover...
But I'm sure that they all don't have a theme song to accompany them!!!

No comments: