Friday, October 1, 2010

s i f t i n g .

Well it's Friday...
All too soon...
A week since I took part in a drawing workshop
Out on Cockatoo Island...
It's taken a few days but my thought and sketches
are now starting to make sense
as I sift through the materials and memories
that are left behind...

The place was so so interesting to view as a drawing subject...
Complex, intricate, nostalgic and varied!
There was TOO much to try and focus on..
And so it was hard to get to the heart of what I wanted to achieve!

I did love the sketching, the freedom to just draw...for two days...and feel like I was away on a holiday. But in the end, it was the people that made it all worth while. It was interesting to meet David Fairbairn and hear about his methods and ideas on his drawing, and great to witness other peoples drawing styles and ways of tackling such an enormous challenge....

But what I'm walking away with, is the introductions and diverse conversations with all lovely people that I meet in the group! Alison B from Newcastle who is about to do her HSC... the lovely Tafe teacher from Tamworth, Zoe from Mudgee who is starting to see herself as an artist.... and the lovely Christine who had never picked up a pencil before and was curious about what art could give her in a difficult time in her life...

It was as always.. not just about the art!!



Alittle of what I DID achieve is here in these images from the studio.
And it was all about blue!
Still!
I loved seeing the landscape in awash of ultramarine blue...
I also loved the 5 minutes sketches in the ol' diary....
which let me be free with my mark making and have fun!

What will happen with all this research?
Who knows...
But its all there to play with
and hopefully go back to!
After all... it's all only a ferry ride away....!
Enjoy the Long weekend for all of you in Australia... There are so so many events taking place that it would be difficult to list them all! But what will I be doing? well...I'm lucky enough to be going into work at Object, where We craft this City will be taking place all weekend long! Take a look at the schedule of fantastic crafty events if you're keen to get your craft on!

take care...x

No comments: