Friday, November 19, 2010

getting to know xy

Well...
Ive done it! Ive finally read The Catcher in the Rye! It's one of those classics that Ive always wanted to knock on the head and read, but it has escaped my focus for years, and I thought Id always have to say 'oh no... I haven't read that! I must do that one day...'
There are always books on your imaginary list that you know you'll enjoy reading one rainy day, but as it was never on your book list for school or uni, life, and just released publications got in the way...
Oh and of course time!
Well...no more.
This little book has run all the way to my 'I've read it pile', and I'm so happy to say that it has! It was such a beautiful read. Yes it was emotional, as you experience the inner workings of Holden Caulfield, a teenage boy that is alienated, lonely and upset by life... but beautiful all the same.
It was great to finally step into the mind of a teenage boy and hear his thoughts, his worries and his interpretation on events...
But then I had a thought.
Ive actually dipped my toe into a few male authors looking at the male, or xy character. From Haruki Murakami with Kafka on the Shore to Tim Winton with Breathe... and Christos Tsiolkis and his book The Slap, all these authors have come from different eras and countries, and yet their characters have similarities. Another author that gave a young male voice real presence in literature was Nick Hornby in the 90s.... I loved his books when I was younger.
I loved trying to get inside the head of guys and understand how they tick!
Well...just a little....
Timing is a funny thing too...
A couple of days ago I received a lovely request from a good friend who was thinking of commissioning me to do an artwork for her partner for Christmas. It was a brilliant idea and one that I don't receive that often. That is...receiving a request to do an artwork for a guy.
Years ago a friend asked me to do a landscape painting for her boyfriend, who is a mad fisherman and loves the sea, and I created a blue watery scape, which still hangs in their apartment today...thankfully!
But this new request is for something different.
My friend was thinking of a boat theme.
And so I thought...
And gave a few suggestions...
after trying to get inside that male cranium!!


This work was from the Primrose residency and its called 'Harbour Story'.
It sold to a friends father who is a high school art teacher...
So I thought I might be on the right track!

This is from the Rattle + Hum series that features in the tinytrappings store at the moment...(shameless plug!) I thought this work felt more mechanical....like you were seeing the inner workings of a ship....


And then there are the works that are simple.
No colour...linear...and are simple...just illustrations of what they are!
Boats on the water! No difficult interpretations required!

So am I on the right track???
Who knows but Ill keep you posted if there are any outcomes...
And so its Friday and another week has decided to do the 100 metre dash rather than the marathon!! Anyone else tired from the speed of it all??
I thought I'd throw at least one event into my week so I could remember one thing that Ive done in the last few days....and have an answer for the question 'so what did you do this week??!!'
Last night I went to the opening of the brilliant Box Project exhibition at Gaffa Gallery that was curated by Jasmine Matus, and features 19 contemporary jewellers making great pieces from what they found in a mystery box of materials!
Its a great exhibition and a great blog if you would like to have a look....
and its up on the walls of Gaffa until Nov 30th...
so there is still time!
Have a great and relaxing weekend...
x

No comments: