Monday, November 1, 2010

the tiny archives.... the ny dream.

hi everyone...
how were the last few days for you? good? bad? ugly?
I was at Object working all weekend, so today is unofficially tinys day off!
And look at it!
Rain.... darkness... grey!
What happened to the warm sunny weather..? I ask you??
Because of this European winter-type weather we're experiencing, I seem to be spending a lot of time my desk... writing, reading, researching, sorting, and blogging.
Which leads me into today's article and today's introduction to a new chapter for the tiny trappings blog... and it's called... the tiny archives!
I was going to call it the dusty 45s - which in record speak is the name given to old 45 inch vinyl records that lie hidden underneath the bed, never to be seen or played again! Which is true these days of much of our music that lies in boxes and drawers, never to be placed on a cassette, turntable or CD player again!
Anyway...back to my article.
On a quiet Wednesday a few weeks back I decided to go through all my old lifestyle magazines...trawling for ideas, great images, colours... when I stumbled on this article from UK Elle Decoration May 2009. And I thought to share it with you, from my archives!

And it truly is one of my favourite featured apartments of all time!
A place that I would love to own one day...
British interior stylist Marin Bourne and his fashion stylist partner, Leilin Lopez have created this amazing space in an ex-industrial loft in Dumbo Brooklyn.... and boy, have they worked hard to make this space feel warm, sunny, colourful and eclectic.

Every inch of the loft has been lightened + brightened using found objects, vintage pieces, and masses of colour through fabric, furniture and artwork.

I love the mix of the rusty red chair by Danish designer Hans J Wegner, found at a flee market, mixed with a warm purple leather pouf on the floor. The rug, the artworks, the coloured skittles...its all there and it all works together.


Look at ALL the textures!
From the couch and floor cushions to the couch fabric... and then the use of orange in the light fittings and the green fabric stretched on the canvas! Love it all...
The way they have creatively styled their artworks is great too! I love the idea of placing an artwork in front of the green canvas...and layering it all! I wish I had the space...and place!!



Great plain white trestle table with all the smaller details added in...
The wall colour event though you cant really see it in this image, is a cool sky blue, which is such a lovely wall colour for a studio space. It is colour.... but it subtle and near neutral colour.


Oh its a nice space and so so livable rather than the stark and austere spaces you can find in interior magazines. You can tell that its a loved space... and that's why it works!

Can you see why I had to show you...living, breathing colour...in all its glory!Ill be showing you more articles over the next wee while...

So I hope you enjoy the stroll through my dusty 45s with me!

No comments: