Thursday, April 28, 2011

rainy pursuits....

After days of rain with no end in sight, we all look for a way to escape into our own tiny worlds to pursue half finished projects, clean spaces that have not been touched since the 1999, reorganise collections, study and re-evaluate plans for the coming few months... and in my case ... all of the above.

Yesterday became a little milestone day for me as I passed a test and moved into a club that most of you are members of... I finally got my learners driving licence. See, I told you it was a small milestone! So to celebrate I went into the city and visited Gaffa Gallery where I found a personal gift that became so much more. Showing in Gallery two is an exhibition called A melting pot of Love which showcases an array of mediums by some very talented local artists' that wanted to contribute to the Japanese Red Cross Earthquake + Tsunami Appeal. So they combined all their creative talents into organising this show and pop up space in the arcades on the ground floor, in order to donate 100% of sales to The Red Cross.



Not only is it a crafty, fun, colourful show, but there are some amazing pieces to purchase....

These beautiful cards are by an inner west artist that goes by the moniker chi chi ginjaka, and they are children's drawings that she has redesigned into lino cut prints that have been set onto vintage fabrics.

So... recycled, fun, colourful, and all for a cause. Can't do better than that!


If you're in Sydney A melting pot of Love will be on at Gaffa Gallery until the 3rd May. And if you happen to love these lino prints as much as I do, chi chi ginjaka can be found at Marrickville markets that are held every Saturday...

So... gallery wet day visit? Check. Gift to myself and charitable donation? Check. Supporting local artist? Check. Reading....? Check.
At the moment I'm delving back into the poetic and mystical prose of Japanese author Haruki Murakami with The Wind Up Bird Chronicle, which so far, is keeping me entertained in another unique world that Haruki seems to effortlessly create. I love his work so in my eyes he can do no wrong, but Ill let you know what I thought when I finish.
And in magazine form I recently bought an old favourite that I thought had disappeared into magazine folklore. But no... it's back. Dumbo Feather has just released issue 27 with a new format, new editor, new city of publication, and new stories to tell. It may polarise people that loved the work that Kate Bezar did with this beautiful zine. But I love that Patrick Pittman is trying to be respectful of what Kate achieved...


So much so that he finally persuaded Kate to appeal for the first time in this magazine that she created, with a feature story on her new life and decision to move back to New Zealand. The image above shows a lovely little spot in her new home...


It will be interesting to see how this new phase will go, but I have to admit there is not much available in this genre of magazines, especially in Australia. So it still seems fresh to me... And I love the use patterns and textures on the title pages, such as seen above.

I picked up my copy at Mag Nation in Newtown; another great independent store that is aways a good option on a rainy day.

They even provide couches!

No comments: