Wednesday, May 25, 2011

t r a n s l a t i o n

I was going to call this post coldy wintery weather pursuits! Just to give you an idea of what we
are experiencing in Sydney this week... as its cold, wet, windy and grey. Not fun, and not the ideal weather to be working in when your studio has no door to close it all out!

So when the weather gives you lemons, I guess it's time to make lemonade. And thankfully I was given a timely commission this week that involves weaving warm wool...

Last week the lovely Jess Page,who runs Breathing Colours Gallery in Balmain asked me to translate the drawing that you can see above called Mosaic 2010, into a woven bowl that could sit happily with it at her place. Jess bought this colorful drawing last year at the Make_Believe exhibition at Gaffa. So its been a happy little commission for me to work on, as I stroll down memory lane and recreate a palette of summery colours in wintery wool...

And this is what I have come up with so far...

Again, I must thank the lovely Sally who gifted me all this amazing embroidery wool that had been sitting quietly at her place for many many moons....

And I am only too happy to rescue it from her back closet!


I have to say that working with all these colours does lift my mood, as I try to forget that winter is knocking at my front/back/and side door!!

No comments: