Monday, August 29, 2011

m a g i c

Balls Head Point Sydney 



































Oh Happy Monday to you... welcome to a week that includes a new season, a new month and hopefully many new beginnings. If you were with me last week you'll know that I mentioned a new place that I had the pleasure of being introduced to by my friend Angela. Well today I can reveal the place, and some of my images from that magical sunny day....
All of these photos are from a place called Balls Head point which is on Sydney Harbour but tucked away in an area that most people don't know, or visit. Which is a shame as it blew me away. 

The area has a history that could be a microcosm of what happened in many places in Australia. In the late 19th c. the bushland was an Aboriginal camping ground and when I arrived I was taken to an amazing Indigenous rock carving of a huge whale which was seen in the harbour nearby. Then as the British Colony started to take shape the site became a colonial coal loading facility and the traces of this industry also remain. After throwing my bag down in Angela's studio i went exploring and took a look at the old colonial wharves and tunnels before starting the half hour walk around the headland to take in the view.  

Through bush land and harbour vantage points I was blown away by the energy, the colours and the peace and quiet of this place.
All in the heart of the city. 
Magic indeed.

No comments: