Thursday, May 17, 2012

and the street were paved in gold...

Wagga Wagga Lagoon surrounded by the Saturday Farmers Market situated outside The Art Gallery...

And so to my last post for the week, and my last post on the lovely little town of Wagga Wagga. I say little, but its actually one of the biggest regional centres in Australia. And to prove it the town showed me a great time last Saturday, as I took a walk around its golden streets... 
But first its best to rewind the tape a little....
eeeeerrrrrrrrrpppp (that's me rewinding the tape) 

A couple of weeks ago I got a request from my lovely mama to accompany her to Wagga for the weekend, as she was invited to a massive reunion. My mum is from Wagga and spent all of her youth in the district before heading off for bigger adventures in London. Years later she arrived back in Australia.... but she never went back to live. So I got to know the place through family holidays to visit my grandparents. And, boy, did my brother and I love visiting the family farm, and years later, their house in central Wagga.

Sadly my grandparents passed away a few years ago. And since then we've had no real pull to visit. That is, unless there is a major event that my mum cannot miss. And this year there was a huge celebration for the old Wagga Wagga high school on the hill... 
So off we went. 
And as an added bonus I had a crack at driving on the highway. 
Something I have never done before, being a new driver and all!

So once we arrived we had a great night at one of the local pubs on the main street. And on  Saturday we went our separate ways. Mum to her reunion.... and me?

Well... I decided to talk a walk around the centre of town. 
The art and glass gallery, the farmers market, the cafes, the vintage stores, and a stroll around all the places where my brother and I used to ride our bikes when we were kids... 

Plus it was a beautiful, colourful, Autumn day. 
Not too shabby.... I reckon.
Thank you Wagga for a lovely visit.

The beautiful Lagoon right next to the Arts Precinct and library...

And lucky for me it was Farmers Market Saturday where local farmers and producers sell their wares to the eager public. And with the trees covered in golden leaves it was a beautiful setting...


There was live music and tables set out in the bright sunshine...
so of course people were making the most of it!

Then it was off to the old part of town and the streets lined with golden trees.
My Nana wasnt a fan of all the falling leaves, but for me, it's magic...



Then back round to the Lagoon and the old foot bridge and pathway underneath it... 

By this stage the light was fading and it was time to find coffeeeee....
Great day and great getaway.
And ps I enjoyed driving on the Hume highway! Who would have thought?!

No comments: