Wednesday, May 16, 2012

marking the land

Love the line of light slicing through the landscape...


Its amazing how we all like the idea of 'leaving our mark' on the world.

Whether its through some amazing personal achievement, the building of a house or landmark in the world, the breaking of a record in some small degree, or the helping of another in need - we all like the idea of marking a mark. At the moment I'm focused on making marks in my artwork...lots of marks... that will soon make their debut on an art gallery wall  {fingers crossed}.

While I was walking around Wagga Wagga on the weekend I started to realise that my photos were about documenting different kinds of 'beautiful' marks' on the landscape. The way the Sun highlights colours and objects in nature, the way we mark + graffiti boring bits of concrete, and the way we mark roads and pathways with signs and barricades... 

OK - some of these marks maybe more beautiful than others...
But I guess its all in the eye of the beholder...









Ah... the ol' corrugated iron fence. I had to have a photo of one of those...
especially being in the country and all!



2 comments:

Maxabella said...

I try, but unless the kid is Banksy, I just can't see the beauty in graffiti.

The beauty in urban areas, definitely. I love those railway bridges to bits. x

michele aka the tiny said...

Hi Maxabella. Yep - its true. Graffiti is a tricky art subject to love... I think the bits I love about it are the pure colours and the pure spontaneity of the mark making. But the old railway bridges and overpasses in wagga are beautiful when you climb underneath...x