Monday, March 18, 2013

from potplant to pop-up teacher...

koskela weaving workshop, march 2013


It's the middle of March.
And activities have started to appear...

Such as the commencement of my first workshop 
for the new year! 

To say I was a little excited (and a little nervous) as I set up the Koskela workshop room full of colourful weaving materials last Saturday would be an understatement. Teaching a workshop to a room full of people you have never met before CAN be a tricky proposition. Especially when youre an artist, and used to spending many hours in a studio that contains you... and possibly a potplant... or pet!

So... to warm up my teaching brain I always think back to how I was taught over the years. I have had some amazing mentors and teachers in my life. Teachers that made their methods memorable by exuding personality, friendliness, and warmth. The more positive and colourful they were, the better the class was! 

So at 10am, after a cup of tea or three, I introduced myself to the group and got the ball rolling.  

For 3 hours the 12 of us weaved, talked and played, as each person found their own style and way of weaving. And before I knew it, it was over! I realised I had lost my initial nerves at exactly 10.01 and that I was surrounded by a lovely group of people - all eager to try a new craft - and have a chat. 

Thank you to everyone who came along...
I hope you all enjoyed it!
I did!

If anyone would like to come along THIS Saturday, I will be teaching my last weaving workshop for this semester at Koskela. 

All the details can be found on this link....

Now back to my potplant!

OH - I just realised that this is my 600th post!!! I cant believe it! Thank you to everyone who has kept coming back to read this tiny blog over the years. I love all your comments and emails... and all your support. It has helped me to continue and enjoy this little journey... and I hope you have all enjoyed it too!

THANK YOU!!!!

No comments: