Friday, July 26, 2013

food for thought

Tiny grape weaving that took shape this week...



Back to some of my favourite things this week.
Catching up with old friends, sharing a lovely chat with my God-daughter on her 5th birthday, meeting new people at the studio for an inspiring chat about new creative projects... AND in amongst in all... weaving with some of my favourite colours and textures. 

The little grape weaving that you can see above is a tiny raffia weaving that I started yesterday. I truly love to work with raffia and all the luscious colours it can be dyed into. I mean - doesn't this grape colour remind you of Grape Hubba Bubba chewing gum??

In a recent workshop I had one person liken raffia... to butter. 
And that is an apt description. 

Good quality raffia is oily and moulds with the warmth of your hands... just like butter when making pastry. It truly is a lovely texture to work with... and even better to look at when the colours are as intense as these.

The image below is a section of heavy jute rope that was dyed and displayed at Koskela a few months ago. I still love to look at this image and wonder what it would be like to super-size my weaving structures to this scale? And in this colour-way?

mmmm...
food for thought.

Inspiring image from Koskelas workroom in Rosebery.

No comments: