Monday, May 12, 2014

colouring in

^This is me on the streets of North Sydney with two taffic cones,
a fluro safety vest and a trusty blue crate that also acted as a step ladder and
a seat^



I guess you will have noticed the deafening silence on this little blog in the last few weeks. Im actually surprised you still click and visit! Thank you for still supporting my artwork and this tiny blog - as things on this tiny site have been alittle quiet of late. After seven years of diligently writing three posts a week - Ive recently found myself treating this space like a second or third class compartment in my life - and I wish that wasn't the case. 

When I started this blog way back in 2008 my life was very different.

I was working part time at Object Gallery, exhibiting my artwork here and there in Sydney, and focusing on my health, as it slowly deteriorated with the onset of some very serious complication with my Crohns Disease. In amongst all of that the tinytrappings blog was born and it became my refuge and my creative outlet for everything and nothing.  Exhibitions, artists', books, music, street art.... 

Fast forward to 2014 and my life looks and feels completely different. My health (touch wood is better), my artwork is happening in a lovely studio space in Camperdown, im teaching workshops in weaving and drawing.... And instead of walking the streets and photographing murals, im working on the streets and colouring them in with my own designs. 

Late last year North Sydney Council initiated a project entitled 'Colouring Our Habitat' where locals artists were asked to workshop ideas with a community or school group, and then design and paint three traffic light boxes that line the streets. 

A few weeks ago I shared with you my photos from a workshop I held with a group of Year 9 students from Monte Sant' Angelo which started the whole process. And then shared my photos and inspirations while doing a reccy around the area where I was about to paint my designs.

Since then I have been working on my final designs and in the last two weeks or so Ive been out on the streets painting. 
And here are the final pieces!
I hope you like them....

Ive really enjoyed this project and the opportunity it has afforded me. Working on street art is something I've wanted to do for a very long time. And now - after years of ill health Ive been able to achieve it. 

And ive loved it.
Who knows...
Maybe you'll find a few more of my artworks on the lane ways of Sydney?
I mean.. 
I do have some left over paint....

^Final design for Walker st. - entitled Through the Trees' 

^Through the Trees.
Walker st North Sydney^

^Final design for box 1 on Berry St.
This one was called Folded Spaces'

^Box 1 on Berry st with Box 2 looking very naked in the background^

^Final design for Box 2 on Berry st.
This design is called Stained Nature^

^ Box 2 all dressed and ready to go.
It was completed this time last week^

^The two berry st boxes side by side
standing side by side^

Thank you to Alison and all the team at North Sydney Council.
Thank you to Kate and all the staff and students at Mont Sant'Angelo.
Thank you to my family and friends who supported me on site - delivering take away coffees and words of encouragement.
And a massive thank you to the public who were so lovely to me as I painted during the week and on the weekends. I never knew how much people noticed while walking around the streets. But you noticed me and were very very complimentary which truly surprised me.

No comments: