Saturday, November 4, 2017

mash up




The time spent playing, reworking and just 'plain-ol' looking at bits and pieces plastered up on the grubby white walls of my tiny studio counts as some of my favourite moments in the whole creative process.

I love re-imagining artworks and seeing new things, old things, abandoned things and commissioned things speak to each other - as they hang alongside each other like a 90s mix-tape mashup. It makes my head whirl and whip round like a spinning top, and I start to see new ideas take shape. 

When visitors come by the studio and they see an old work up on the wall, they often ask if im holding onto it ... for keeps. 

Usually the answer is that its on the wall to keep inspiring me, and pushing me to explore new directions. As once is gone - its gone - and I cant have another conversation with it! 
Strange as that may sound....

(foreground) Turning on the Fall 2016 - Acrylic  painting on wood.
In the background a mix media drawing on paper entitled
Quiver (among the stars) 2016

No comments: